CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tuesday With Me

Today's headlines: (from jeff ooi - screenshots)

"Blogging, or better known as citizens' journalism, must uphold the tenets of journalism which is a noble profession, Information Minister Datuk Seri Zainuddin Maidin said Monday.He said bloggers, as corporate citizens, had a great influence in moulding public opinion and bore the same responsibility as the mainstream media. [...] Zainuddin said the government was aware that the number of Internet blogs had increased and the situation might change the face of Malaysian journalism in the near future."

But it isn't so easy as that... Dr Jay Rosen who told us about Laying the Newspaper Gently Down to Die, in which he quoted Craig Newmark (of Craigslist fame):

I realize I’m no newsguy, not an activist; just like everyone else, tired of news that I can’t trust. My favorite irony is that Jon Stewart produces fake news that’s honest; and the White House produces allegedly honest news that’s really fake
And, not to be out done, here at Bolehland, where everything and anything "boleh", the ongoing soap opera of the on-off Utusan/NST and Nanyang/Sin Chew continue. Yawn!:) Marriages doomed to failure, in many aspects, ethically and financially as the experts say...

Advent Thot:

I tell people, if there is only one book you read in your life, read Mitch Albom's "Tuesdays with Morrie". He provides today's inspiration (pg. 50-52, paraphrased)

"You bother keeping up with the news, I asked?
"Yes," Morrie said. "Do you think that it's strange? Do you think because I'm dying I shouldn't care what happens in this world?"
"Maybe you're right. Maybe I shouldn't care. After all, I won't be around to see how it all turns out.
But it's hard to explain. Now that I'm suffering, I feel closer to people who suffer than I ever did before. The other night on TV, I saw people in Bosnia ..... killed, innocent victims.... and I just started to cry. I feel their anguish as if it were my own. I don't know any of these people. But how can I put this ? - I'm almost drawn to them."

and,

"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." "Let it come in. We don't think we deserve love, we think if we let it, we'll become too soft. But a wise man named Levine said it right. He said, "Love is the only rational act."

Maybe we could take out our handphones, emails, whatever and spread that love around. And remember that God is waiting to come in this Advent, if only we would let Him. Love is the only rational act.

0 comments: