CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 25, 2008

Election Watch (12)

From Jeff Ooi's Screenshots blog, a triple helping of heartwarming stories about ordinary Malaysians chipping in to help the Barisan Rakyat cause:

FROM A 60 YEAR OLD MALAYSIAN:

I am a 60 year old KL businessman who is very fed up with the present extremely pro-Malay Government (the BN Chinese so-called "partners" are merely lap dogs). Both my sons are studying in NY and Melbourne on their father's scholarship , meaning my money. I hope you will win in the election and it is young and brilliant people like you WHO CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE !

So, here goes - I am willing to immediately make a cash donation of at least RM3,000 to help you to defray your mounting campaign expenses. I do not have to meet you. All you have to do is just tell me which bank account no. I have to bank the money to. I hope this sum will help you buy sufficient posters,etc for your campaign.

Best of luck to your campaign. I await your e-mail reply.

(Name withheld by Jeff Ooi)

(I and my wife have voted consistently for DAP in PJ Utara)

TWO KIDS TO FEED, HUSBAND JOBLESS

Dear Jeff,

I have deposited RM1,000 into your Maybank account via ATM on 18 Feb 2008 at 9.25pm. The image of the transaction slip is attached as Attach File.

I wish I could contribute more. However, I am just a teacher and have 2 kids to feed. Moreover, my husband has been jobless for nearly a year.

I have also sent email to most of my contacts this afternoon asking them to make contribution. I attached verbatim the content of the email I sent, as below.

I will approach a few more friends via phone call and SMS. Hopefully I will be able to persuade them to contribute.

This much I could do for your fund raising.

Wishing you the very best.

regards, (Name withheld by Jeff Ooi)

US$2, SANDWICHES AND JUICES

Dear Jeff Ooi,

Greetings from a fellow Malaysian studying in Australia, homesick, family-sick, friend-sick, desperately-need-help-Penang-food-sick, and above all, too young to vote, just a few days too young. Not keen on the idea of postal ballots anyway.

I have just made a token contribution of USD2 to your Paypal account. I’m sorry but I have no income and surviving on little more than sandwiches and juice (almost daily!). Unless you have an e-book version of your book, please don’t send it to me. I would prefer you to spend the postage money on your campaign. Book selling is what bookshops are for, a political campaign is another thing.

Perhaps this election (and the next few years of course) can help me decide whether to keep my Malaysian citizenship. I’m having trouble deciding if getting harassed by the occasional racist teenager in Australia is actually better for my health than going home for anything longer than a vacation.

I bid you good luck in the coming elections. Save Malaysia.

In the meantime, I’ll just introduce congkak to some of my friends here. At least there is something Malaysian worth singing about: our diverse culture.

Go get’em tiger. Thank you.

Sincerely,
(Name withheld by Jeff Ooi)

0 comments: